NE ARAMIŞTINIZ ?

THE SYMBOL OF THE FIRST STEP: BANDIRMA SHIP

THE ORIGINAL COPY OF THE LLOYD’S REGISTER, BANDIRMA SHIP

THE HISTORY OF THE BANDIRMA SHIP

The Bandirma Ship was built as a passenger and cargo ship of 192 nt – 279 gross tonnage having the serial number 21 at the Houtson Carbett shipbuilding yard in Scotland-Glasgow in 1878. The first owner of the ship Dousey Robinson operated the ship for 5 years under the name ‘Trocadero.’

The ship was sold to H. Psicha Preus company in Greece in 1883. The register of the ship which took the name ‘Kymi’ was moved to Pire Port from London.

In 1890, H. Psicha Preus company sold the ship to another Greek company, Cap. Andereadis. The ship sank as a result of an accident on the 12th of December 1891 and brought to the surface within the same year. It was sold to ‘Istanbul Rama Derasimo’ company under the name Kymi and registered to the Istanbul port.

The registration in the Pire Port was transferred to ‘Idare-i Mahsusa, which meant Maritime lines in that period, a Turkish flag was raised and the name which was ‘Kymi’ changed to ‘Panderma.’ It served as a passenger and cargo ship along the coast of Marmara, between Tekirdag, Murefte, Sarkoy, Karabigah, and Erdek.

When Idare-i Mahsusa changed status on 28 October 1910 and became ‘Osmanli Seyr-i Sefain Idaresi’ (Ottoman Maritime lines), the name ‘Panderma’ was changed as ‘Bandirma.’

The ship continued postal services after it brought Ataturk and his brothers in arms to Samsun on the 19th of May, 1919. In 1934, it was disabled from service by the ‘Turkiye Seyr-i Sefain Idaresi’ (Maritime lines).

In 1925, the ship was sold to a Turkish shipowner, Ilhami (SOKER) and scrapped by the same shipowners within 4 months at the Golden Horn. In the 1960s, the original project of the ferry was found and protected by the Istanbul Sea Museum until 1999.

In 1999, with the decision of the Samsun Governor of the period Metin Ilyas Aksoy, the ship was constructed again, in accordance with the original project within 300 days at the location the ship resides in the present day, by Samsun Metropolitan Municipality and Samsun Provincial Special Administration. In 2003, it was brought to the service of the public by the Samsun Governorate and all of its rights were assigned to the Samsun Metropolitan Municipality. As a result of the work done by SBB for 10 months, Museum environmental plan was actualized.

The Photographs, Documents and Works of Art Displayed in the Ship Museum.

The Bandirma Ship Museum is comprised of two sites. The Ship Museum site and the Outdoor Museum site. The ship has the original measurements of the Bandirma Ship. When you come on board the ship, you can observe all of the compartments by following the green guidance arrows. The Ship is boarded from the tween decks. In this part, a cuddy named as the furnished saloon is present. Inside, a meeting between Mustafa Kemal Pasha and his fellow fighters is enacted. 5 statues are found within. In order to reflect the spirit of the era, original tables and chairs produced from walnut tree from the early 1900s were used. On the table, a 110-years old map of the Black Sea from 1910, engraved on an antelope hide is presented. The clock produced from brass against the Mustafa Kemal Pasha statue is fixed on 8 o’clock. The reason is that Mustafa Kemal Pasha landed on the Tutun Iskelesi at 08:00 in the morning of the 19th of May. In the room, an original double handset telephone from the late 19th century is present on the wall. A fire extinguisher from the 1930s is another item displayed in the Furnished Saloon. Mustafa Kemal Pasha spent the three-day voyage to Samsun in this cuddy.

Another compartment in the ship is the Wheelhouse which is at the center of the ship, on which the Captain, his second and the Clerk are present.

Statues depicting the Captain, his second and the clerk are present inside. In addition, many other items such as the compass, speed control panel, steering compass, etc. are found.

On the front deck of the ship, the bedroom catches the attention. The area arranged as a cuddy comprises symbolical furnishings. In the room designed in a similar manner to Mustafa Kemal Ataturk’s bedroom in the Savarona Yacht, a chair, a bedstead and night tables from 1900s, produced from walnut tree are present. The most attention-grabbing item in the cuddy is the original radio which belongs to Mustafa Kemal Ataturk and which he used in Dolmabahce Palace.

The hold of the ship is accessible crossways from the bedroom. The hold is arranged as an exhibition area. All of the space is narrated by the tour guides, all of whom are historians, art historians and archeologists. The presentation given in the exhibition area gives information about Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, Samsun and the National Struggle. In the exhibition area, the presentation starts with the narration of the Ottoman military personal record belonging to 1899 when Mustafa Kemal Pasha was registered in the Military College, which contains the clearest information on him. Later on, his success during his years as a student and his military genius is mentioned. In addition, a narration is made over the images related to the domestic travels Mustafa Kemal Ataturk took to Samsun.

In the part of the ship in which the demonstration of the most important documents on the national struggle takes place, the information regarding his appointment as the 9th Army Military Unit Inspector, his activities in Istanbul and the Bandirma voyage are narrated based on archive documents. A historical journey is made based on his Letter of Instruction, a British Visa, and the documents on the Headquarters committee. In addition, the telegram sent by Mustafa Kemal Pasha giving information upon his arrival in Samsun and important documents related to his travels to Havza, Amasya, and Erzurum are displayed.

One of the important points the Museum emphasizes is Mustafa Kemal Pasha’s kindness for Samsun. The visitors are given information on the importance of Samsun in the War of Independence from Ataturk’s narration. Again, a copy of a document indicating that Ataturk accepted his birthday to be the 19th of May, the original print of the Lausanne Peace Treaty in Ottoman Alphabet in 1923, the Nagant brand gun which belonged to Ataturk, his Belgian service pistol and the replicates of the clothes he wore in the Dolmabahce Palace and the Savarona yacht. The reflection of Mustafa Kemal Pasha’s demise in the Samsun press, the mourning ceremonies which took place in Samsun, Report of Ataturk’s Demise, his will and the notarized copies of his will taken from the Republic archives are displayed.

Examples of the 14 books Mustafa Kemal Ataturk wrote in his life are some of the valuable items in the exhibition area. Different narrations are made for the adults and the children in the Museum.

The War of Independence Park and Outdoor Museum

Within the War of Independence Park and Outdoor Museum built on a 35.000 square meters area, the longest ceramic reliefs in Turkey, depicting the Battle of Gallipoli and the driving of the enemy forces to the sea from Izmir; the Inscription of Martyrs lost in the war of Liberation in which 1200 martyrs are mentioned, 10 bronze reliefs describing the national struggle and Seven-Figure National Liberation Monument are present on the site. In addition, the landscaping within the park and the surroundings continues. In addition, steps were taken for the materials to be exhibited outdoors in the presence of the General Staff and a positive response was received.

Reliefs

Our ceramic reliefs depicting the superior struggles during the war of Liberation and the driving of the enemy forces to the sea from Izmir have the characteristic of being the longest ceramic reliefs of Turkey.

The ceramic reliefs whose manufacturing started in 2006 were completed in a 6 months period.

The ceramic reliefs are comprised of 300 pieces and they cover a 70-squaremeters area.

Endless thanks to the 19 Mayıs University Ceramics department academic Turan BAS who has great contributions in the making of the relief ceramics prepared in the Samsun Metropolitan Municipality Ceramics workshop, and his 15 students who have participated in the production.

The Inscription of Martyrs

On the Inscription of Martyrs built for our 1200 heroic martyrs lost from the Samsun province and districts in the War of Liberation, information on the names, birthdays and the dates of their passing were given. It was made by Samsun Metropolitan Municipality Head of Culture and Education in 2006.

10 Panoramas

The park in which the 10 bronze reliefs representing the years of the war of independence Mustafa Kemal Ataturk started after he landed in Samsun on the 19th of May 1919 are located after passing through the entrance, on the right.

They were produced by Ragip CECEN in 2002, in cooperation with the Ministry of Culture and Samsun Provincial Special Administration.

7-Figure Statue

The 7-figure monument depicting the unity between the nation in the great struggle for liberation, including Ataturk, the soldiers, the swashbucklers, people from the Black Sea, from Erzurum, Kara Fatma (historical female heroine), with the knowledge and science depicted, rises at the center of our park.

Produced by Professor Doctor Tangut OKTEM, in cooperation with the Ministry of Culture and Samsun Provincial Special Administration in 2002.